Sunday 22 January 2012

HSSTC101: Hand Stamped Sentiments Technique Challenge


I have never made a shaker card before. I've always been intimidated by all the work they involved. Don't I sound like a lazy stamper? In the past I've always been interested in making a stack of every card that I make, so that I could have more to mail out, more to give as gifts, etc. But with the new year, I decided I wanted to try posting some cards to challenges, and a whole new window opened up to me. I discovered what it was like to take my sweet time at making a single card and incorporating much more detail into a single card than I ever used to. I can't tell you how much fun it is!

This week I decided to try making a shaker card for the Hand Stamped Sentiments Technique Challenge # 101.  I'll be honest, I had to look up how to do this and was glad that along with the challenge the ladies there incorporated a "how-to"resource. Well, here it is: My first shaker card!


Stamps: Cornelli Lace jumbo wheel (retired), Holiday Happiness, Christmas Punch (retired)
Ink: Real Razzleberry, Ballet Blue, Versamark, white gel pen
Paper: Real Razzleberry, Ballet Blue, Bashful Blue cardstock, Real Razzleberry dsp
Tools: Oval Scallop punch, Large Oval punch, Boho Blossoms punch, 2 3/8" Scallop punch, Snowflake punch, punch pack (circle)
Extras: Iridescent Ice and White embossing powders, heat tool, Iridescent ice tinsel trim (retired)

I fell upon this color combo as I was trying to make other cards, which I will post later on, and discovered how beautifully Real Razzleberry and Ballet Blue go together. Now, sadly Ballet Blue is retired, but I'm willing to sacrifice what I had left for a color combo that really speaks to me like this one.

I recently purchased another retired item from Stampin' Up!'s recent Clearance Rack Blitz called Cornelli Lace. It's a jumbo wheel with the pattern shown below...


It's not overly obvious how this pattern was incorporated into the details of my card, so let me show you. Can you see it in the background of my snowflake shaker? I stamped the wheel up in Versamark and then heat embossed Iridescent Ice over top...eeeeee! So pretty! It's also in the background of smaller snowflakes added to the card. Just a way to add a little hint of sparkle in a different sort of way.


I put some clear/white "snowflakes" in my shaker. I punched a large snowflake out of a scallop and thought it worked as a cute "window" but needed to add some real white with my white gel pen to highlight it. My other little snowflakes are heat embossed in white, overtop of the Cornelli Lace pattern already mentioned.

I also tried this Cornelli Lace pattern on light blue cardstock and found that it went nicely with this color combo. I used this as the background to my greeting and stamped overtop of it in Real Razzleberry. Then used the Oval Scallop Punch (also bought off the clearance rack for an insanely awesome price!) to frame it.


Wait, I'm not done! See that cool trim around my snowlfake? It's the Irisdecent tinsel trim from the clearance rack, yet again! Nothing is better than something pretty on CLEARANCE!


Here's hoping you find something on clearance that inspires you too!

5 comments:

  1. Very cute!! Love the snowflake!!! This is a very creative shaker card!!
    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  2. So pretty! I love the sparkly snowflakes. Great idea to use the snowflake shape as your shaker window. Thanks for playing at Hand Stamped Sentiments.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You go girl!! This shaker card has so much detail. I bet it really sparkles in person!! I love that you described all of the elements you added and I'm glad you decided to join us this week at Hand Stamped Sentiments. I'm seeing more shaker cards in your future. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is adorable. I love it and never would have thought of using the snowflake punch to make a shaker card. Thanks for playing with us this week at Hand Stamped Sentiments.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations Darcie,
    You have been selected as a Hand Stamped Sentiments Artist Pick for your design this week! You have earned the HSS Artist Pick Badge to display on your blog.

    Email me to obtain the html for your badge.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting on my post and taking a look at my blog today! I love hearing from you... :)