Friday 28 October 2011

A Dark & Dreary House of Haunts

Halloween is around the corner and I had the hankering to see if I could case Heidi Baks' awesome stamp arrangement shown here.

Now the reason why Heidi's layout it so cool, is because it combines my 2 favorite Halloween stamp sets. When I saw it, I just flipped!!!

The Dark and Dreary Stamp set, was a must-have as soon as I saw it and I got it when it came out in last year's holiday mini:

Dark & Dreary Stamp Set - by Stampin' Up!

I can't even start to express how much I love this set. It's creepy, it's vintage, it's got Edgar Allan Poe written all over it! Or better yet those old Bette Davis movies in black and white that creep your socks off. I looove creepy movies this time of year! The old ones are my favorite, the black and white aspect makes them creepier than all the crazy effects they have in the new ones.

Add, this set in:
(It's soooo good isn't it?)
House Of Haunts Stamp Set - by Stampin' Up!


So here's what I came up with...

Version 1~ aka "My favorite"


Stamps: Dark and Dreary, House of Haunts
Ink: Basic Grey, Basic Black & Always Artichoke, Daffodil Delight & Cajun Craze markers
Paper: Going Grey (retired), Basic Black, Cajun Craze Cardstock & Wicked dsp (retired)
Extras: Black & White Gingham ribbon
Tools: Pinking Hearts border punch, scallop border punch, 1/2" circle punch, 1 3/8" circle punch, sponge



Isn't it cool, how it looks like the gates open up toward the haunted house?

After stamping the house in Always Artichoke (the most Frankenstein of the greens,) I masked the moon with a post-it note, using a 1 3/8" circle punch, and sponged around it using Basic Grey. The windows are coloured in Daffodil Delight. Then, the best part, in Basic Black I stamped the Dark & Dreary gate/frame over the house, making sure to keep the moon in the frame. Then cut around the frame, did some distressing, and voila!


Version 2~for the girl in the crowd


Stamps: Dark and Dreary, House of Haunts
Ink: Basic Grey, Basic Black, Elegant Eggplant, Daffodil Delight & Summer Sun marker (retired)
Paper: Going Grey (retired) & Daffodil Delight Cardstock  & Wicked dsp (retired)
Extras: Black lace ribbon
Tools: 1/2" circle punch, 1 3/8" circle punch sponge, blender pen, sticky strip

The only difference here is that I used the blender pen and Daffodil Delight to colour in the moon. I used Summer Sun  on the windows and to rim the popped-up piece numbered  "31." To adhere the ruffled ribbon, I added a piece of sticky strip to the bottom of the focal piece. I love how easy it is to repeat the candelabra across the bottom with the clear block stamp.


Version 3~


Stamps: Dark and Dreary, House of Haunts
Ink: Basic Grey, Basic Black & Perfect Plum, Crumb Cake & Daffodil Delight markers
Paper: Going Grey (retired), Basic Black, & Pumpkin Cardstock, Wicked dsp (retired)
Extras: 1/8" taffeta ribbon in Razzleberry
Tools: Dotted Scallop Ribbon punch, 1/2" circle punch,1 3/8" circle punch, sponge


On this one, I went around the distressed edges of the focal point with the Crumb Cake marker. I also used it to colour in the spiders' bodies. The bat at the top is actually flocked and already part of the paper. I love any excuse to use that 1/8" ribbon, it just never disappoints!


Hope all your Halloween preparations are going well !




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on my post and taking a look at my blog today! I love hearing from you... :)